Monday, December 1, 2008

A Different Kind of First Lady


(1-3)  At Starbucks today, I witnessed one of my favorite abayas to date: it had pink rhinestone and lace trim, with the words "First Lady" bedazzled in pink rhinestones on the back.  (I'm sure it was completely inappropriate for me to have sneaked this photo, so First Lady, I genuinely apologize for exploiting your fabulous fashion sense here on my blog.  But you had to know that you were rocking some "traditional Muslim values" when you got dressed this morning.)  What made the outfit even more spectacular was the makeup that accompanied it: gigantic black outlines around the eyes, fake lashes, and iridescent pink lipstick (it reminded me, in fact, of the "Silver City Pink" shade that my grade school girl friends and I had to apply after we left for school because my mother told us that the color was trashy).  And don't get me started on the stiletto pink heels.  I must admit that I find this aspect of the culture more than a little bit confusing: are the men here supposed to ignore the women or be driven absolutely mad by them??? 

(4) My first close encounter with a mosque; it happened to be situated next door to the furniture store we were visiting.  I was shopping for placemats when what I assume was a call to prayer began resonating throughout the building: a wavering song by a male voice in an unintelligible language.  Much different, but no less eerie, than the ominous-sounding "ohmmmmm" that I have either heard before in my travels or saw somewhere on tv (my memory is worthless and I often don't remember places I've actually visited and think I've been places I haven't).  Daddy keeps raving about some giant mosque in Abu Dhabi constructed largely of gold so hopefully I will be able to provide some more detailed and exciting pictures soon.

(5) Tomorrow is National Day for the U.A.E., which is this country's independence day.  The kids each came home with U.A.E. flags that they had made at school, and both were delighted to point out every such flag they then spotted on buildings or cars as we drove around this afternoon.  Funny, I never recall them recognizing the American flag back in the States... 

Want to write more but Baby is crying.  The nerve.  More soon.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I think I remember "Silver City Pink". It has a hint of 6th grade in the back of my mind. So does "Frosted Brownie". They were both pretty trashy!

I love reading all these blog posts. I hope Sushi and Screamer recognize the American Flag next time they see one.